Have you ever wondered how betting odds are designated to each player or team? Understanding betting odds and how they are assigned is crucial if you are looking to maximize your winnings. Lots of punters and betting enthusiasts don’t think a lot about this process and only look at statistical data, team news, and match history before making a bet in the hope of having a winning betting slip.

Betting Odds

They think that all betting operators are the same and that they all offer the same or similar odds. As a result, they often end up betting on lower odds than what can be considered as closest to the ‘real’ odds of a betting event.

We say ‘real’ because all bookmakers, with the exception of some betting exchanges maybe, offer players odds which also include the bookmakers’ margin, also known as edge, overround or vigorish, so they are not the real odds. Betting at odds with a high bookmakers’ margin in them means that you are losing money at the expense of the bookmaker.

Understanding Betting Odds – Determining the ‘Real’ Odds

In a world outside betting, odds would be determined based on the relative chances of each team and all outcomes will be taken into account. For example, if it was a football match there would be three outcomes – a home win, a draw, and an away win.

Let’s say that the home team is the favourite to win the match and is at evens (1/1) to triumph. This means that the home team has a probability of 50% to win the match. The away team in this example is somewhat of an underdog so it is given odds of 5/1 to triumph, which equals to a probability of 16.67%. That leaves the draw option with odds of 2/1 and a probability of 33.33%.

As you can see, when you add up the relative probability percentages, the total is 100%, meaning that these are the real odds for the match. This is the first step that bookmakers take when they create their odds.

Check out our list of the best football betting sites!

Betting Odds Explained – Determining Bookmakers’ Odds

However, understanding betting odds requires players to also understand the second step that betting operators take. Here you have to bear in mind that bookmakers have one goal and one goal only and that is to make a profit on every bet which is placed. That’s why they include the bookmakers’ margin.

To do this they take the real odds and include the overround which basically reduces the odds by a small margin. Let’s look at the same example from the said football match to see how this works.

The home team is still the favourite, but in this case the bookmaker increases the probability of its victory by calculating 60% probability of victory for it and assigning lower odds of 4/6 as a result. The away side also sees an increase in its chances for victory to 20% and a decrease in odds which are now 4/1. Finally, the odds for a draw are also decreased to 6/4 as they now come with a higher probability of 40%.

This means that the relative probability when all outcomes are combined is not 100%, but 120%. What this means in the simplest of terms is that for every £120 received, the bookmaker only pays out a maximum of £100. The profit of at least £20 is actually the bookmakers’ margin, which in this case is 16.67%.

Understanding Odds – Decreasing Margins and Increasing Odds

These days bookmakers try to lower their margins as much as possible so that they are able to draw more clients to their establishments. The bookmakers’ margin of 16.67% in the example above would be considered as incredibly high by today’s standards as most betting operators go for margins between 5% and 10%. Even more importantly, there is a continuous downward tendency to this trend which means that we can expect to see lower and lower bookmakers’ margins in the future.

In fact, there are lots of betting operators which sometimes choose a margin of 5% or lower and here is where understanding betting odds really comes into play for you as a punter. You should always go with betting operators which give you the lowest relative probability and highest odds for each betting proposition.

This means that it is not enough to know how a team plays, the form of the players, previous head-to-head matches or similar statistical information to get the highest winnings possible. If you want to maximize your profits these days, you also have to have a basic understanding of how betting odds work.

Sites With The Bets Betting Odds

1

Stake £10, Get £30 in Free Bets + 30 Free Spins

87%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
New UK & NI customers only. 18+. Sign up using promo code ‘SPORTS60’. Deposit & place first sports bet at a minimum of £10 in one bet transaction at evens (2.0) +. £30 paid in free bets within 48 hours of bet settlement, expires 7-days after issue. E-Wallet & Prepaid Card restrictions apply. Your first bet must be settled within 60 days of bet placement. SMS validation may be required. Game restrictions apply. Maximum 30 Free Spins on selected games. Free Spins expire after 7 days. Full T&Cs apply.
2

Get up to £100 in Free Bets

86%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
New customers only, bet at least €20 on the Exchange and if your first bet loses, we’ll refund you €20 in Cash. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Full T&Cs Apply.
3

Get a £10 Risk Free Bet

88%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using Cards or Paypal will qualify for this promotion.
4

Bet £20, Get £40

51%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
Min.deposit £10. Place any sportsbook bet (except Racing) of £20+ at minimum odds of 1.40 (2/5) to receive your free bets and casino bonus. 35x wagering on casino bonus. Free bet will expire 7 days after opt in. £20 Casino bonus will expire after 30 days of opt-in. T&C's apply..
5

100% Profit Boost + 10 Free Games

65%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
6

Bet £10, Get - £30 in Free Bets

75%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30f - A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market - Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days - Free bet stakes not included in returns - Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply - full T&C’s apply.
7

Wager £100, Get £5 Bonus (Up To £50)

36%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
18+, GambleAware.com. Min Deposit £20. Bonus expires 7 days from registration. For every £100 wagered £5 will be credited. Restrictions apply. See terms and conditions
8

£250 Welcome Bonus

48%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
18+, New customers only, Deposit a maximum of £250 to receive 100% bonus. Min 35x wagering (on deposit + bonus) on selected games. T&Cs Apply.
9

£50 Welcome Bonus

51%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
10

£100 Welcome Bonus [Bonus Code: WB10BET]

56%
TOTAL SCORE
Visit Site
View Bonus Terms & Conditions
New Customers; Min. deposit £15 (no Skrill/Neteller) with code WB10BET; Bonus amount is 50% of deposit up to £100; 6x deposit and bonus turnover (min. odds 4/5 on singles and 2/5 per selection on acca bets), in 30 days, for bonus release; Some bet types don’t contribute to turnover; Withdrawal before turnover results in bonus cancellation; Terms apply; 18+